Why Clean Your Air Ducts?
If any of the following issues arise, you should consider cleaning your HVAC system.
- Pest infestation: If your ducts are infested with rodents, insects, or any other pests, your air ducts should be cleaned after calling an exterminator.
- Mold: It’s smart to clean your air ducts if mold is growing in your home’s ventilation, heating, or cooling system. Mold can cause many health issues and should be dealt with immediately.
- Dust and debris: If you notice any dust or debris clogging the HVAC duct system or filters, it needs to be cleared out. Not only will the dust and debris cause the spread of allergens, but it will also cause your system to work harder and increase power usage.
- Increased power bill: If you notice your power bill increasing without a change in your regular lifestyle, it’s likely because your HVAC system is working harder than necessary to regulate your home’s air quality and temperatures.
- Increase in allergies or health issues: If those living in your home begin to struggle more with allergies or have an increase in health issues, it may be because your home’s ventilation system is spreading allergens and contaminants. If the HVAC ducts are not clear, the system is doing more harm than good.
How to Clean Your Air Ducts
If you find your ducts require cleaning, you can hire a professional to clean them or do it yourself. Follow these steps to clear out your duct system.
- Cover floor vents. Do this so any dislodged dust can’t escape into your home.
- Loosen debris. Your duct system is normally in basements or crawl spaces. Knock on the system to loosen the debris.
- Scrub the duct. At each floor vent, scrub at the sides to further loosen debris then cover it again when you’re done.
- Suck up the debris. Use a vacuum to suck up the debris in each duct. Make sure the vacuum hose reaches as far down the duct as possible.
- Replace the filter. Finally, check the duct filter to make sure it’s not covered in dust or grime. If it is, replace it.
If you don’t want to deal with the mess that can happen when cleaning your ducts at Valley Restoration and Construction, we can clean your HVAC ducts for you! Contact us at (970) 964-4437 to learn more about our HVAC cleaning services for residential and commercial spaces.